|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
Red Dog was a gold rush town founded in 1851 but was mostly abandoned in the late 1860s. The town was called Brooklyn for a while.
The first water system in Red Dog was apparently built by William Quirk and an unnamed partner, perhaps Coats with whom he shared a mining claim. Quirk died in 1861 and William Augustus Begole bought his share of the system. Begole probably ran the system until the town was abandoned around 1868. Nothing else is known about the system.
|Bean's History and Directory of Nevada County, California: Containing a Complete History of the County, with Sketches of the Various Towns and Mining Camps, 1867, Page 390|
There is no public water supply in the former location of Red Dog.
1860 Map of the State of California. Vincent. Brooklyn is shown in Nevada County.
Daily Union, March 22, 1861, Page 4.
Fatal Accident.- A miner named William Quirk was killed at Red Dog, in Nevada county, on Tuesday, March 19th, by the caving in of a bank in his claim. The body was badly crushed.
1866 "Red Dog Destroyed," Sacramento Daily Union, August 18, 1866, Page 2.
History and Directory of Nevada County, California: Containing a
Complete History of the County, with Sketches of the Various Towns and
Page 390: W.A. Begole advertisement (see above)
of Nevada County, California
Pages 70-71: Red Dog or Brooklyn
Dog Cemetery, Nevada County, California
William Quirk, died March 20, 1863, aged 33 years
Diego City Rather William Augustus Begole: Story of a Workhorse
Pioneer, by Lael Montgomery
Page 20: In March 1861, W.A.'s business partner, saloon keeper, and miner William Quirk, was found dead, buried under a cave-in at his Red Dog claim. (In 1862, W.A. purchased from Quirk's estate Quirk's half of the Red Dog Water Works as well as his share of the Couts-Quirk mining claim.
© 2018 Morris A. Pierce