|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
|New England States||New Hampshire||Lyme|
Lyme was settled in 1764.
The Lyme Aqueduct Company was incorporated in 1831 by D. C. Churchill, Jona Kittredge, Asa Shaw, Bezer Latham Daniel Hovey Jr. Irenus Hamilton, Jona Conant, Thomas Perkins, A. Latham Jun and Joshua Balch "to convey to Lyme Plain, so called, in Lyme, by means of an aqueduct, the water from any spring or springs of water in the neighborhood of, and not more than two miles distant from said Lyme Plain." This company built a small gravity system in 1838 that was operating as late as 1918.
The Lyme Water Association was formed on November 6, 1961 and is recognized as a 501(c)(3) entity.
Water is currently provided to a small number of customers by the Lyme Water Association.
1831 An act to incorporate a company by the name of the Lyme Aqueduct Company. June 23, 1831.
Report of the State Board of Health of the State of New Hampshire for
the two years ending November 1, 1902.
Page 90: Lyme - In 1838 the Lyme Aqueduct Company inaugurated a system of water-works, the source being springs. The water flows by gravity through lead, tarred-iron, and galvanized iron mains, with lead service pipes. The average daily consumption is 4,300 gallons. Thirty-three families are so supplied.
The papers of the Latham family of Lyme, New Hampshire in the Dartmouth College Library, includes records of the Lyme Aqueduct Company from 1831 to 1849.
© 2016 Morris A. Pierce