|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
|New England States||Vermont||Derby|
The Village of Derby Center was chartered in 1898.
The Derby Aqueduct Company was incorporated in 1861 by Jacob Bates, Person True, John Kelley, J. L. Edwards, H. H. Carpenter, C. A. Harris, Harry Hinman, William Dow, Joseph Bates, 2nd, Chester Carpenter, Jr. and John Tinker "for the purpose of constructing and maintaining an aqueduct for the purpose of supplying the inhabitants of the village of Derby with water for domestic and other purposes." No evidence has been found that this company built a system.
Bates and Grout built a gravity system in 1895. Grout was probably Major Josiah Grout (governor of Vermont from 1896-1898). Bates was Charles K. Bates, who was a wealthy merchant in New York City. Josiah Grout and Charles Bates were married to sisters. Bates died in 1897 and his wife owned and operated the system until her death in 1917.
The Village of Derby Center took over the water system sometime between 1917 and 1966.
Water is supplied by the Village of Derby Center. PWS # VT0005195
1861 An act to incorporate the Derby Aqueduct Company. November 20, 1861.
1878 Map of Derby Center | Town of Derby
1883 Derby Business Directory
St. Johnsbury Caledonian, September 6, 1895, Page 1.
A water system is to be put into Derby Center village by Messrs. Bates and Grout. There will be a strong hand hose head, which will afford fire protection.
1897 "Derby," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 4.
1903 Genealogical and
Family History of the State of Vermont: A Record of the Achievements of
Her People in the Making of a Commonwealth and the Founding of a Nation,
Volume 1, by Hiram Carleton
Pages 621-624: Major Josiah Grout.
Approved for Derby Center Water System," Bennington Banner,
April 11, 1966, Page 12.
The project is actually a complete rebuilding of an old water system that was constructed in 1898.
Report of the State Board of Health of the State of Vermont from
January 1, 1914, to December 1, 1915.
Page 62: Derby. The supply is by gravity from springs. There are no inhabitants on the watershed above the springs. The system is owned by Mrs. Charles K. Bates.
of Newport v. Village of Derby Center, 2014 VT 108, September
12, 2014, Supreme Court of Vermont.
In 1997, the Village of Derby Center and the City of Newport entered into a contract whereby the Village would supply 10,000 gallons of water per day to the City.
© 2017 Morris A. Pierce