|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
Stockton was incorporated as a borough in 1898.
The Stockton Water
Company was incorporated in 1864 by Garret S. Billis, Robert Sharp and
Charles Bartles "for the purpose of effectually supplying with water the
village of Stockton, its vicinity, and
the inhabitants thereof." No evidence has been found that this company built a system.
The borough constructed water works in 1906 after a large fire in 1905. The system used a gasoline-driven pump and windmill to pump water to a reservoir.
Water is provided by the
Borough of Stockton.
1864 An act to incorporate the Stockton Water Company. March 29, 1864.
1888 "Stockton," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 1.
1890 "Stockton," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 2.
1891 "Stockton," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 3.
1897 "Stockton," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 4.
Hill Waterworks Directory
Page 346: Stockton. Wells, 2 artesian 6-in 150 ft. deep; pumps driven by gasoline engine and windmill; pumping to reservoir; av. daily cons. 1,600 gal.
New Jersey, 300 Years of History: As Reading's Ferry, Howell's Ferry,
Centre Bridge, Stockton, Borough of Stockton, by Iris H.
Naylor | Excerpt here
In 1905 the worst fire in the history of the town occurred. The fire destroyed much of the business district since the closest fire department, Colombia Fire Company, was located 4 miles away in Lambertville. After the fire was finally extinguished it consumed 10 buildings and left several families homeless. In 1906 the town voted to construct a water works, purchase a steam engine, 600 feet of hose and purchase property to erect building to house the equipment.
© 2017 Morris A. Pierce