|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
|Middle Atlantic States||New York||Argyle|
The Village of Argyle was settled around 1765.
William Williams, Anthony M. Hossman and Peleg Bragg formed themselves into an association for the purpose of supplying themselves and others with water by means of aqueducts. In 1806 they petitioned for an act of protection, as they "have already at a considerable expense, conducted the water from the fountain to the dwelling house of Peleg Bragg, in the town aforesaid, the benefit arising from which aqueducts are likely to be lost for want of adequate provisions made by law for regulating and managing the said aqueducts, and for obliging each proprietor thereof to bear and defray his proportionable part of the expenses attending such aqueducts, and in amending, superintending and managing the same."
Peleg Bragg owned an inn in the Village of Argyle since shortly after the Revolutionary War, so this system could have been built before 1805. No additional information on this system has been found.
The Village of Argyle received approval to construct a water system in 1912 and a permit to operate it on August 17, 1915. The Village currently provides water in the community.
1806 An act for the better regulating and protecting the Aqueducts in the Town of Argyle, April 4, 1806.
the Matter of the Application of the Village of Argyle for the approval
of its plans for the construction of a Water Works System, from Second Annual
Report of the New York State Conservation Commission, 1913
Application filed December 9, 1911.
Hearing at Arygle January 5, 1912.
Decision February 28, 1912.
of Argyle v. Plunkett Suit for liqudated damanges and mechanic's
liens, no details on water system.
© 2015 Morris A. Pierce