|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
|Middle Atlantic States||New York||Lenox|
Lenox was created a town in 1809.
The Lenox Water Company was incorporated in 1813 by Moses R Cook, Abraham V. Camp and Ambrose Andrews "for supplying that part of the town of Lenox, in the county of Madison, situated on the Seneca turnpike road, called Federal Hill, with water." No evidence has been found that this company built a system.
The village of Canastota was incorporated in 1835 and included the area north of the Seneca Turnpike around Federal Hill, but according to early histories people only lived on the south side as the north side was mainly swamp.
The village of Canastota built a water system in 1885.
The village of Canastota leased their water system to the Onondaga County Water Authority in 1976.
Water is currently provided by the Onondaga County Water Authority.
1813 An act to incorporate the Lenox Water Company. April 6, 1813.
1853 Map of the Town of Lenox, Federal Hill is southeast of the village of Canastota, between Wampsville and Quality Hill on the Seneca Turnpike.
1885 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Canastota, Madison County, New York. October 1885
1888 "Canastota," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 1.
1890 "Canastota," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 2.
1891 "Canastota," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 3.
1897 "Canastota," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 4.
v. Conley, 164 Misc. 248, September 2, 1937, Supreme Court,
Easement for supply of water to Canastota.
and Watercourses: Diversion: Reciprocal Easements Implied in Grant,"
by Anthony L. Dividio, Michigan Law Review 36(8):1432-1433 (June, 1938)
Supply of Canastota water works
© 2020 Morris A. Pierce